Sunday, April 19, 2009

I love snark

So I have been reading Janet Reid, Nathan Bransford, etc etc. Janet posted a link that was basically somebody bellyaching about getting rejected 60 times and how agents have failed and the system doesn't work. Well, the author of said rant found Janet's post and commented, and one of the other readers replied (and this is why I love writers):

Whiner: "(*I'll be brief. Probably not, but one can only hope.*)"

Janet-reader: Of course you won't. I doubt you could be brief on a true or false question.

HAHAHAHA. What a great insult. It's even better because the whiner's rant is like 40 pages long and it's so badly written and boring that I stopped after about three paragraphs. As others have pointed out, no wonder he wasn't published! The bottom line is that hard work pays off. If you write a good story, polish it up, and write a great query you will probably do okay in the business. But it does require learning to write, editing, editing again, and then going back and editing some more. So far I've read Deceiver's Will about 5 times and every time I read it I make tweaks and changes. I've just done my first read through of Prophet's Bequest and made small changes, and will doubtlessly be making many more. That's the business. If you submit crap, you're going to be rejected.

Here's the link to the post: http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2009/04/sorry-i-havent-gotten-back-to-you.html

No comments:

Post a Comment