Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Writing, again.

Classes are finished, all the finals are graded, grades are in (although I am still getting students e-mailing me asking if they can turn in late assignments--really, kids, do your work when it's due!), and life is generally as it should be. Because I'm a grad student on a stipend, and because I'm living at home for the summer in a minuscule town in BFE and nobody is hiring (and I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks in Africa), I am unemployed. So all these things combining, that means lots of time for writing. I was in Ohio for a week and didn't write, but finally managed to unstick my brain and not only write a couple thousand words this week, but my plot is quickly moving again. I'd been somewhat stuck, not really sure if I wanted my characters to do this or that, but I'm going again. It feels so good to write. I realized that when I don't write for a few days I get really chatty and annoy my family and friends.

So the game plan for the summer is to finish the trilogy up, edit book two and three, and query like crazy. My query is written, and a couple reliable sources (avid reader and retired editor friend) have told me it's good, so I need to gird my loins and start sending it out. But I'm nervous. A writing teacher I had once told me he thought I was a great writer but didn't have the balls to handle the rejection. After getting rejected from a dozen graduate schools, or better yet not receiving a rejection at all ("You are not worth the paper used to send a rejection."), I think I can handle it, but I'm still not looking forward to it. Ah well, I need to just suck it up and do it.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it Gwen! Just keep pounding through your edits, and get your book 1 sent out asap. The sooner you start, the sooner you find a publisher!

    ReplyDelete